Text Size:

Planning Act Applications and Fees

For all Planning Act applications and the applicable fees, please refer to the "Application Forms" page of this website.

The Township collects the fees applicable for the review of Planning Act applications on behalf of the Quinte Conservation Authority and the Kingston Frontenac Lennox and Addington Public Health.  The fees payable to these associations are in addition to the fees charged by the Township.  A single payment to the Township for the total of all applicable fees is due at the time of submission of the application.  Information respecting these agency fees may also be found on the "Application Forms" page of this website.

It is important to note that in addition to the application fees, the applicant is also responsible for all costs incurred by the Township in the consideration of the application.  This is likely to include fees arising from reports such as those from the municipal planners as well as any associated legal costs.

Ontario Provincial Policy Statements

The Provincial Policy Statements provide the basis for the development of policies found in local and upper tier official plans.

County of Lennox and Addington Official Plan

Township of Stone Mills Official Plan

The Official Plan is a policy document, intended to guide development through-out the Township over a 20 year life span.  The policies are developed to address specific interests or features, and areas are designated for different forms of development.  The Schedules (maps) identify features and designations addressed withiin the Plan.

Township of Stone Mills 2017 Official Plan Review

Zoning By-Law 2014-744 Consolidated August 2018

The zoning bylaw divides the entire Township into "zones" in which certain uses are permitted, and also prescribes the standards for these uses.  If a certain use is not listed as a "permitted use", then the use is not allowed.  The bylaw document as follows is the text of the zoning bylaw, Schedule 1 is a map of the entire Township, and the following schedules are maps of specific identified areas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  Althought the bylaw document has been updated to reflect recent revisions to Bylaw 2014-744, the schedules have yet to be completed.  It is anticipated the schedules will be updated in September, 2018.  This notice will be deleted once the schedules have been updated.

Consent (Severance) Applications

The following are the minimum requirements for a severance application deemed to be complete:

  • A completed severance application form
  • The required fees and refundable security deposit
  • A sketch prepared by an Ontario Land Surveyor
  • A signed Acknowledgement Of Costs form
  • A Prior Consents Report (not required for lot addition)
  • A Reserve Sewage Capacity Report 

Additional reports may be required dependent upon location and features that may be present on or nearby to the lands subject to the application.

Recent decisions of the Committee of Adjustmenet respecting severance applications may be found in the minutes of meetings for the Committee on the Stone Mills Civic Web Portal

Minor Variances

An application may be submitted for a minor variance to:

  • Provide relief from a requirement of a municipal bylaw;
  • Extend or enlarge a non-conforming use;
  • Change the existing non-conforming use to a similar or more compatible use; and
  • To provide for a bylaw interpretation.

To ensure that all of the relief that may be required to allow for a development proposal, pre-consultation with the Township is mandatory.  The pre-consultation will include bringing the applicable staff and agencies together to consider the proposal and in most instances will include a site inspection.

Decisions respecting an application made pursuant to these applications are not precedent setting as each decision is made upon the  merits and the circumstances relating to each parcel of land and the development that is proposed thereon.

Site Plan Control

Site Plan Control is an extra layer of control that may be imposed by a municipality when a particular situation or feature requires additional control that is generally not available through zoning restrictions.  Site plan control typically is the result of the submission and approval of another Planning Act application for a specific development proposal.

Plans Of Subdivision

Persons considering a plan of subdivision are encouraged to consult with the Township and the County of Lennox and Addington prior to the submission of a plan of subdivison application.  The County of Lennox and Addington is the approval authority for all plans of subdivisions in the Township of Stone Mills.  For general information relating to this type of development please refer to the following made available by the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

Local Planning Appeals Tribunal - (Formerly Ontario Municipal Board)

Decisions of an approval authority made pursuant to the Planniing Act are subject to an appeal to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) subject to restrictions established by the Planning Act and the LPAT.  Directions, appeal forms and the appeal fees are available on the LPAT website.

Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) Guidelines

The MDS Guidelines were developed to help eliminate conflicts between agricultural and non-agricultural uses arising from the nuisance of odours.  A request for a MDS report may be submitted to the Township.  When submitted, the request will be forwarded to the Township Planning Consultants for completion.  Only those MDS reports prepared by the Township's Planning Consultants will be used in support of development proposals.

Reserve Sewage System Capacity

The 2014 Provincial Policy Statements require municipalities to consider remaining sewage system capacities when considering land use planning applications.  New building lots place extra burden on existing treatment facilities.  A Reserve sewage sytem report indicates the waste treatment facility is able to accomodate any extra waste arising from new development.

Road Widening Requirement

Whenever possible, the Township shall attempt to widen Township roads to a minimum of 20 meters on local roads and 26 meters on all major roads.  When the road which provides access to lands is not of sufficient width, any approval granted to a planning application, could be conditional upon the owner conveying lands to the Township to provide for this desired road width.


Pre-consultation is recommended for any person or corporation that is considering the submission of a development proposal within the Township of Stone Mills when the proposed use of land is different from that which presently exists; or the proposal is on a parcel of land that has natural or man made features that could result in constraints to development.  To request a pre-consultation, please complete the Pre-consultation request form available on the "Application Forms" page of this website.

Agent Authorization

The land owner(s) is responsible for the submission and management of any land use Planning application.  However, a land owner may assign the responsibility of an application to any responsible person.   Upon doing so, all notices and inquiries and the day to day management of the planning application will be through the agent and not the land owner.  A completed agent authorization is required when any person is submitting or representing an application other than the owner(s) of land, excepting legal counsel representing an owner(s).

Acknowledgment Of Costs

A standardized form has been developed whereby the applicant of a Planning Act application, acknowledges and accepts that all costs realating to that application and incurred by the Township will be the responsiblity of and paid for by the applicant.  This form must be completed and submitted with each application.

Assignment of Assessment Roll Numbers

If you are considering severing a parcel of land from your existing property, please note it is a standing policy of the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) that the Assessment Roll Number (ARN) assigned to your property will remain with the retained parcel.  The retained parcel is that parcel of land which is generally kept by the owner of the land and which is left over after the severed parcel has been removed.  Consideration should be given to this policy as it could result in delays in the calculation of property taxes for the severed and retained parcels, could have implications in the timely receipt of future tax bills as well as impacts on income taxes due in respect to capital gains.

Title Searches

A title search may be required in support of or arising from a review or approval of a land use planning application.  The Lands Registry office is located at 7 Snow Road, Unit 2 Napanee, Ontario K7R 0A2 Phone: (613) 354-3751 Fax: (613) 354-1474.  When required by the Township, the title search must be conducted by a qualified professional.  Additional information respecting title searching is avialable at the following link

Closing Municipal Roads And Allowances

All requests for closing a municipal road allowance are administrated through the Planning Department.  There is no application fee.  A written request must be presented to Council explaining the reasons in support of the request.  A deposit of $500.00 is required together with a completed and signed "Acknowledgement of Costs" form.  Notice of this request is circulated to abutting land owners and a Public Hearing is required.  Guidelines for the closing of a municipal road allowance can be found on the "Application Forms" page of this website.

Non-Agricultural Source Materials (NASM)

Non-Agricultural Source Materials are materials intended to enhance the crop producing capabilities of the soil in respect to farm operations.  Examples include sewage bio-solids, pulp and paper bio-solids, leaf and yard waste, fruit and vegetable peels and food processing waste.  A NASM Fact Sheet has been developed to help explain the application of NASM materials.  The application of NASM is regulated by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).  When applied according to the applicable guidelines, NASM can be safely applied to Ontario farmland and has been done so for more than 30 years.

Maintaining Your Private Well

As there is no source of public water in Stone Mills, property owners are responsible for the water which comes from their private well.  Property owners should test the well regulary and be congnizant of sources of contmaination such as:

  • Poorly located or maintained septic systems;
  • Surface spills of fuels and oils
  • Improper disposal of household hazardous wastes such as paint, solvents, and cleaners
  • Road salt
  • The use of fertilizers and herbicides in gardens and flowers beds
  • Pet and livestock wastes

To ensure your drinking water remains safe:

  • Ensure the well is readily accessible;
  • Clear the well head of brush and other debris;
  • Avoid the use of fertilizers and pesticides in the area of the well;
  • Check the well cap for signs of damage, as the cap should fit firmly over the casing;
  • Ensure the screened vent is directed towards the ground;
  • Ensure the well head is completely un-movable;
  • Ensure the well casing extends a minimum of 16 inches above the ground;
  • Extend the well head above the ground when the well head is located in a in access pit;
  • Decommissioned any abandones wells by a licensed professional.

Well Records

The Ministry of Environment and Energy maintains records of water wells across the Province.  If you require information about a well on a particular parcel of land or are looking for the available water supply for a particular area, please visit the inistry of Environment and Energy website:

Well Contractors

Contractors which are responsible for the supply of drinking water must be licensed by the Province of Ontario.  For a current list of licensed well contractors or for additional information please contact:



          Taxation     Building     Planning     Zoning     Community Hall     Fire Services     Roads     Arena      Severances