Are you interested in running for Municipal office in the Township of Stone Mills? This page has been compiled with the intent of providing answers to the most common questions asked by candidates. This page may be updated throughout the 2022 Municipal Elections to assist candidates with inquiries.
Nominations can be filed between May 2 and August 19, 2022 during office hours of the Township of Stone Mills Municipal Offices which are as follows:
Monday- 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday- Thursday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Friday – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
List of Certified Candidates
|Reeve||John Wise - 1970 Centreville Road, Centreville, ON K0K 1N0
| July 26, 2022
Douglas A. Davison - 3890 County Road 1, Yarker, ON K0K 3N0
| June 7, 2022
|Councillor||Shari Milligan - 500 Gilmore Road, Tamworth, ON K0K 3G0
|June 16, 2022|
|Kevin Richmond - 3364 County Road 1 E., Yarker, ON K0K 3N0
|August 4, 2022|
|Wenda Lalande - 1916 County Road 1 E., Napanee, ON K7R 3L2
|August 9, 2022|
|Dennis Masson - 432 Frizzell Road, Tamworth, ON K0K 3G0
|August 15, 2022|
|Wendy McDonald - 46 Woodcock's Mills Road, Tamworth, ON K0K 3G0
|August 15, 2022|
|Rob Fenwick - 14 Hilltop Drive, Enterprise, ON K0K 1Z0
|August 15, 2022|
|Krysta-Lee Woodcock - 2990 County Road 14, Enterprise, ON K0K 1Z0
|August 18, 2022|
|Adam Pyne - 51 Grove Street, Newburgh, ON K0K 2S0
|August 19, 2022|
|Amberlyn Bishop - 39 Woodcock's Mills Road, Tamworth, ON K0K 3G0
|August 22, 2022|
|English Public School Board Trustee
(Limestone District School Board)
|Robin Hutcheon - 11945 Front Road
|June 21, 2022|
|Rhonda Moulton - 5918A County Road 2, Odessa
August 17, 2022
|Isabella Harpell - 54 Millhaven Road, Odessa, ON K0H 2H0
|August 19, 2022|
|English Separate School Board Trustee
(Algonquin & Lakeshore Catholic District
|July 13, 2022
|French Public School Board Trustee
(Conseil des écoles publiques de
l'Est de l'Ontario)
|Rachel Laforest||May 12, 2022
|French Separate School Board Trustee
(Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est)
|Michel Charron - 4671 Sand Road, Verona, ON
|May 4, 2022
The list of Certified Candidates will be finalized on Monday, August 22, 2022.
A person is eligible to run for the office of Reeve, Deputy Reeve or Councillor if, on the day the nomination is filed, that person is:
- A Canadian citizen;
- At least 18 years of age or older; and
- A resident of Stone Mills Township; or
- The owner or tenant of property in the Township of Stone Mills; or
- The spouse of an owner or tenant of property in the Township of Stone Mills; and
- Not otherwise disqualified from holding municipal office.
The following are ineligible to run for municipal office:
- Any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality;
- An employee of the Township of Stone Mills who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence. Note: Volunteer firefighters are not considered employees for the purpose of eligibility;
- A judge of any court;
- An MP, an MPP ; and
- A candidate who failed to file the candidate financial statement or exceeded the prescribed spending limit in the last municipal election.
- Start gathering 25 signatures for nomination forms
- Schedule an appointment with election staff for filing nomination papers
- Contact election staff with inquiries about elections, campaigning, signage and public office
- Fundraise for their campaign before their nomination is certified by the Clerk
- Spend money on their campaign before their nomination is certified
- File nomination papers before May 2
- Nominations Papers must be signed by the candidate and at least 25 signatures from eligible voters in the Township of Stone Mills. Completed forms must be delivered in person to the Clerk’s Department at 4504 County Rd. 4 Centreville, Ontario along with the filing fee. ($200 for nominations for Reeve, $100 for all other offices).
- We ask that Candidates (where possible) schedule an appointment to submit nomination forms, to ensure that dedicated staff are in office and that the required time may be set aside to review important election matters with you.
- Note that a Candidate can only be nominated for one office (i.e. Reeve or Deputy Reeve or Councillor or School Board Trustee). A Candidate may switch the office they wish to run for by filing a new nomination form before the deadline of 2:00 PM on August 19, 2022.
Candidates may withdraw their nomination up to the deadline of 2:00 PM on August 19, 2022. If a candidate decides they no longer wish to run they must:
- Meet in person with the Clerk;
- Bring the completed Withdrawal of Nomination Form; and
- Bring photo identification
- Campaign expenses and fundraising are regulated through the Municipal Elections Act.
- You cannot raise or spend any money on your campaign until you file your nomination paper. The earliest you can file your nomination paper is Monday, May 2, 2022. When your nomination paper is filed, the Clerk's department will provide you with a preliminary statement of campaign expense limits and more information about your financial reporting requirements. Please note that while election staff can direct you to resources and instructions, they cannot assist you in completing your forms, provide advice, or verify the accuracy of the information you provide. Each Candidate is responsible for filing a true and accurate statement to the best of their knowledge.
- All Candidates (including acclaimed or withdrawn Candidates) are required to file a financial statement using the prescribed form. Candidates should review the Financial Statement form prior to incurring any contributions or expenses.
- Financial reports are due between January 3, and March 31, 2023.
Note: The entire Financial Report is considered a public document. These documents may be inspected by any person upon request at the Clerk’s office during normal office hours and are also available online.
All financial reports will be posted on the Township's website. This includes a listing of the names and address of all contributors. You may wish to consider advising contributors that their personal information will be public and displayed on the Township’s website after the election. The information remains on the website until after the next municipal election.