CAO / Clerk

The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality. The CAO's responsibilities include: ensuring that the municipality's policies and programs are implemented. advising and informing the council on the operation of the municipality.

CAO / Clerk


The municipal Clerk is a mandatory position required by Section 228 of the Municipal Act. In Stone Mills, the Clerk's position has been combined with that of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).  The CAO/Clerk is the primary liaison between the public and Council and is responsible for the development of the Council agenda for all matters being considered by Council as well as the compilation of the minutes of Council. Persons who have business before Council, are encouraged to direct their inquiries to the CAO/Clerk. It is the statutory duty of the Clerk:

  1. to record, without note or comment, all resolutions, decisions and other proceedings of the council;
  2. if required by any member present at a vote, to record the name and vote of every member voting on any matter or question;
  3. to keep the originals or copies of all by-laws and of all minutes of the proceedings of the council;
  4. to perform the other duties required under this Act or under any other Act; and to perform such other duties as are assigned by the municipality. 2001.

Many of these additional responsibilities can be found on this page.

Administrative Fees

  • Commissioner For Taking Oaths And Affidavits - $10.00
  • Certify Copy Of Documents - $5.00

Commissioning of Documents

A Commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration.  The Clerk, Deputy Clerk, Treasurer and Deputy Treasurer are commissioners for taking affidavits in the Township of Stone Mills.  This authority is conferred by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act.  The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit.  It is the sole responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned (the "deponent") to ensure the content of the affidavit. The deponent must understand not only the details to which he or she will attest but also the fact that he or she is swearing an oath that the details are correct.

In order for an affidavit to be commissioned, the deponent must bring proper identification to prove their identity and the affidavit must be signed in the presence of the commissioner.  An affidavit that is presented with the signature already included will not be commissioned by Township Staff.

It is important to note that a Commissioner for taking Affidavits is not the same as a “Notary Public”.  A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, certify documents as true copies and to verify signatures.  The requirements to become a Notary Public are more stringent than for a Commissioner and most are lawyers or judicial officers.  If you require a document to be "notarized" as opposed to "commissioned", the person administering the oath or affidavit generally is a lawyer.

The following are examples of situations where you may need a Notary Public:

  • Birth Certificate - if you are applying to be married in another country, that country may required a notarized copy of your birth certificate
  • Consent letter for children travelling abroad
  • Land Transfer Signatures
  • Mortgage Signatures
  • Passports in certain situations
  • Professional Exam Applications
  • Single Status Declaration – before you can be married abroad by foreign officials, they will require that you provide a Single Status Declaration to verify that you are actually single.

Requests For Information

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (MFIPPA), which came into force on January 1, 1991, establishes a set of statutory obligations that must be considered when responding to formal access to information requests. There is a general right of access to records under MFIPPA however, this right is subject to the application of exemptions that may apply to the records. An information request form is available here.  Application Form 

Line Fences Act

The line fences act is legislation enacted by the Ontario Government which empowers a municipality to adjudicate on disputes respecting a fence located on a common boundary between abutting land owners. An information document has been developed with the intent to provide persons that are considering making an application under this legislation, an understanding with respect to costs and the actual process by which the application will be considered. 

Bylaw 2005-298 as adopted on July 4, 2005, provides for the arbitration of fencing disputes between adjoining property owners.  This bylaw delegated the administration of the Line Fences Act to the CAO/Clerk as well as established a schedule of fees applicable to all applications submitted pursuant to this legislation.

Guide for the Line Fences Act has been developed by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.  Persons considering an application under this legislation are encouraged to review this information.


Lottery Licences

Under the guidelines established by the Alcohol And Gaming Commission of Ontario, Municipalities may issue lottery licenses subject to certain limitations. Please contact Manager of Development Services, Jason Sands with respect to a lottery event which your organization may be proposing or click on the following links for additional information.

Please note, lottery licenses may only be issued to qualifying associations and for the charitable purposes approved by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Commission.  To ensure your association continues to qualify for a lottery license, please ensure the current information is available to the Township respecting your organization.  

Lottery application forms, report forms and other helpful information can be found on the AGCO Website under the heading of "Lottery & Gaming".

Chip Truck License Application

In order to operate a Chip Wagon within the municipality a Chip Truck License Agreement is required along with letters of compliance (see Agreement for list) and payment of the licensing fee of $250.00 in accordance with By-law 98-24, being a By-law to license, regulate and govern chip wagons, mobile canteens and other refreshment vehicles in the Township of Stone Mills.

Energy Demand Management Plan

According to the Ontario Regulation 397/11 made under the Green Energy Act, 2009, every public agency shall prepare, publish and make available to the public and implement an Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plan.  A summary of the public agency’s annual energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions for its operations is required. Also required is a description of previous, current and proposed measures for conserving and otherwise reducing the amount of energy consumed by the public agency’s operation and for managing the public agency’s demand for energy, including a forecast of the expected results of current and proposed measures.

Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program

This program provides compensation for farmers for livestock lost as a result of predation from wildlife. The program is administered through the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.  A large number of changes have been made to this program which came into effect on January 1, 2017.   The  2017 Program Guidelines which have been developed by the Province, explains these changes.  Farmers who have accessed this program in the past as a result of predation are encouraged to review these changes. Additional information can be found at the following website.

Birth and Marriage Licenses

The Township of Stone Mills does not provide birth or marriage license services but these can be obtained at the Town of Greater Napanee.  Speific forms for these purposes are available at:  Ontario Government Online Applications


To view a list of our most frequently asked questions, please click here.

Key Contacts