Inquiries respecting Building Permits may be directed to Chief Building Official Jake Detlor at 613 378 1714 or by email at: email@example.com . Click here to download the Building Permit Application.
The Building Department ensures all buildings are erected in accordance with Ontario Building Code, Township of Stone Mills By-Laws, and other applicable legislation. The department provides zoning compliance requests and building code information to the public and provides technical advice to Council, Committees and other municipal departments.
Projects Requiring A Building Permit
- Construction of a new building
- Installation or modification of heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
- Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
- Change a building's use
- Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
- Make new openings for or change the size of, doors and windows
- Build a garage, balcony or deck
- Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
- Renovate, repair or add to a building
- Install an in ground or above ground pool, spa, whirlpool, or hot tub
- Reconstruct a chimney.
Projects Not Requiring A Building Permit
- Painting or decorating
- Install siding on small residential buildings
- Build a utility shed under 108 square feet
- Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
- Install eaves troughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
- Replace dry-wall or plaster
- Replace existing, same-size doors and windows
- Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
- Erect a fence (except for swimming pools outside pools require permits)
If you are in doubt whether a building permit is required or not respecting your project, please call us at the building department and we will be glad to answer any questions or concerns.